Stay cool with the right summer supplies
Summer is a time for relaxation…except for people working outdoors, or in factories and warehouses.
For these people, heat stress is a serious problem, although one that can be avoided by understanding how the body works and finding the right summer supplies.
How does heat affect the body?
Even when the weather isn’t warm, our bodies produce heat by breathing, digesting food and exerting and storing energy. Combining those factors with the rising mercury can make it tough for our bodies to regulate temperature. Fortunately, we’re born with our own internal cooling system: thermoregulation, which maintains body temps through perspiration, or sweating.
But thermoregulation can only do so much. When outside factors, such as physical exeration and high temperature are combined the body begins to experience stress. This can lead to descreased productivity, dehydration and a lack of mental awareness, which in turn can lead to workpalce accidents.
Preventing heat illnesses
Educating and providing the right resources to your employees will help prevent illness and/or dehydration during the hotter months. Employees who undersatnd the signs of heat illness and know how to combat and relieve themselves from heat stress will help lead to your business running smoothly through the summer months.
Simple things, such providing enough water, longer breaks and shade, go a long way in making sure employees stay safe. Additionally, we can provide workers better tools to make them more comfortable. Some of these tools are:
- Breathable Clothing – Cotton is a great form of fabric, but there are other materials such as mesh t-shirts, which are more breathable and actually wick away sweat from the body. Additionally, wearing protective headgear is great to keep the sun off of the faces of employees.
- Breathable Gloves – By purchasing gloves that have a spandex or lyrca back, the hands will be able to breathe more easily and not trap heat within the glove preventing heat rash and sweathy hands.
- Fluid Replenishment – There are industrial drinks, like Sqwincher, which help to replenish fluids lost by sweat. Similar to gaterade, Sqwincher is packed with electrolytes and designed for the commercial use. Sqwincher is available in a powdered concentrate, liquid or even popsicle form to help reenergize electrolytes.
- Cooling Towels – Chill-Its cooling towels are a great option to work. They maintain their “cool” for hours on end and can be placed directly on the neck, arms or even underneath a hard hat.
- Coveralls – Coveralls or bunny suits are typically used to keep you clean, but during the summer months they also act as a sauna by trapping your body heat within the suit and causing extreme heat.We carry a Key-Tec Cool Coverall with a breathable back and underarms so alleviate the heat from the body.
Few businesses can afford to shut down for the summer and safety and productivity can never take a vacation. Giving your workers the right health education and the right protective gear is vital during the hot weather months.
Let Y-pers help provide you with that gear. We carry a full ine of products to help with relief in the heat – such as cooling towels, mesh safety vests, sweatbands and electrolyte replishment drinks and freeze pops. These should all be a part of your summer package to defeat the heat.
Contact us today. We look forward to learning more about your business to see how our summer supplies and specialized products can help you and your employees have a safer summer.